Normally, when one wants to activate a particular feature to specific List in WSS then s/he will have to create a specific list by feature itself and then would have to register the feature to that List by Registration ID.
But Recently, I had a special case while developing our in-house Module MOM. In that, I had already defined my custom List through the Site Settings–> Site Libraries and Lists –> Custom List. But then there was a need for a feature which was only to be applied to this list. The feature was to add an Item [Email Again] to the Edit Control Block of that List. So, To solve this problem we followed steps below:
- Created a custom content Type for the Site with no columns.
- Created a Feature for the Edit Control Block Item.
- Activated the Feature on the custom content type created earlier.
- Now, From the Web Front End, In the List Settings, allowed the management of Content Type for that specific List.
- Then, Added custom content Type to the Specific List and made it the default content type and removed the other content type [Item] which was there by default.
- Customized this content type for this specific List by adding the columns which were defined for the specific List.
- Now, User can only create an item in that specific List with the new custom content type and the feature is already activated.